Monday, September 13, 2010

September 11th, 2010

September 11th, to borrow from history, is a day that will live in infamy.

Perhaps it is not the 21st century version of Pearl Harbor, but the event still carries with it an eerily similar sense of shock and heartache so many years later.

I still have difficulty reconciling how this day should be marked. Revisiting the stories, seeing the pictures, watching archived news footage, remembering those that were lost and trying to make sense of it all. These are the rituals that have evolved from my experience with September 11th, but they seem to lack cohesion or order. I don't plan for the date, it just happens and I often am left wondering if I am doing right by my remembrance.

We often use the words 'we will never forget.' I'm not certain whether this is meant to be a tribute to lives lost or a statement of defiance. I can't possibly imagine ever forgetting the events of that day, even if I wanted to. When we pledge to 'never forget' are we saying we will never forget those we lost, or never forget who was responsible for this tragedy? Is it both?

Choosing to focus exclusively on those responsible is perhaps oversimplifying the story. History tells us that few of humankind's epic events are purely random acts. There were signs which were ignored and motives borne out of a lesser known and darker side of humanity. In the moments, days and weeks after living through the horror of 9/11 it was difficult fathom these things, but over time we see the truth and it is ugly and disturbing.

There is no justification for such acts of terror and I am not suggesting as much when trying to come to grips with those tragic events nine years ago. Nonetheless, it cannot be denied that there was, and still is, fertile ground for the resentment of western society's dominance of the world economy, much to the detriment of developing nations. We few, who consume and often waste so much of the world's resources, some of which have been secured by meddling in the politics of other nations, have we not learned anything? When our governments support oppressive regimes to appease domestic political notions or keep our cost of living low in what direction is our moral compass pointing? The resentment of the oppressed is legitimate, which presents an opportunity for those who feed upon anarchy to peddle violence and death as a quick solution.

As far as we have come since September 11th, I'm not sure we are any closer to resolving the conditions that bred such a cold-blooded attack.

As it turned out, my September 11th was spent at a soccer tournament with my son. After his game we stayed at the park where he played with dozens of other children. While I sat pondering the meaning of the anniversary I watched the children run and climb and laugh and squeal. They made quick friends, immediately trusting one another even though moments earlier they were strangers. The children varied in age, race and language, none of which seemed to matter.

It became clear to me that this was the perfect way to mark September 11th. Through the eyes of children, a simple yet defiant statement

'We cannot forget what we can become if we learn to share and trust.'

A truth that no act of anger and violence can defeat. I think we owe it to the world's children to follow through.

No comments:

Post a Comment