Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Milestone One

I wrote a blog back in April titled The Long Run in which I told you I was about to embark on a health overhaul. Well, today marks a milestone in that effort. It has been four weeks since I started to renovate my lifestyle and I am happy to report that it is still going strong. I've lost over ten pounds and have started running regularly. In fact this evening, for the first time in over a year, I completed a 5 kilometer run.

One of the promises I made in my blog was that I wouldn't bore you with progress reports. Well, I also said I was quitting Twitter, and well I didn't do that either.

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle has been an ongoing struggle throughout my life. Perhaps it is physiological or psychological, or both, but controlling my weight has never been easy. I am up against a genetic propensity for excess weight which is something I have come to accept. This latest effort is really part of a lifelong drive to make positive long-term changes. The alternative is to risk a worsening of personal health issues, in particular high blood pressure, which carries with it a myriad of potentially nasty outcomes.

As I have pursued ways to improve and maintain my health over the years, I have learned some valuable lessons, some that still apply today. These are tried and true methods and truisms that have helped me in this lifelong battle. So, to celebrate this mini milestone, here are a few tidbits of wisdom these experiences have taught me.

First off a proviso, not for legal reasons, but because I firmly believe it is important. Consulting a health-care professional or a dietitian can help you make informed and healthy choices, particularly if you are planning radical changes in diet and exercise, or if you have any existing health issues.

Diet

First off, DO NOT call it a diet. Call it anything you want, but diet is an awful word. We often talk about being on a diet, as if it's something you climb on and off. Making positive changes to your eating habits are things you do for life. Don't do them if you don't plan to continue. Find healthy foods that you like and substitute them for the bad ones. Definitely avoid fad diets, for the same reasons cited above. They may work in the short term but are not meant to last, and often lead you right back to the old bad habits.

Don't obsess over food, get educated. Learn the value of lower calorie, lower fat, lower cholesterol and lower carbohydrates. Don't focus on just one of these elements, they are all important, however most dietitians continue to recommend reducing the daily intake of calories as an effective method for maintaining a healthy weight.

You will get hungry. I won't pretty it up for you, if you reduce your intake of certain foods, you will likely have cravings or at least feel hungry from time to time. I don't mean ravenous, if that is the case you are doing something wrong. I just mean hungry for that extra something. It's normal to be a little hungry in the beginning. As your eating habits change, it will eventually fade.

Water is your best friend. Drink lots of it every day. Eight to twelve glasses is generally accepted as the average daily intake. You body loves water, it's great for your skin, it flushes your system (and I mean all of your systems), it makes muscle more supple and flexible and the best part: it is a natural appetite suppressant. Add some lemon juice to your water for a little extra zing, it's also good for you too.

Exercise

I don't recommend joining a health club (with apologies to Nautilus). Instead, find an activity that is easy to do, and can be done virtually anywhere. Walking, jogging or biking are all great activities that don't require any commitment other than what you choose to give. Make small changes in your everyday activities. Park further away from the mall or walk to the mall instead. Take the stairs rather than the elevator. Find activities that are fun like softball, volleyball, ballroom dancing, skeet surfing, anything that allows you focus on having fun rather than the fact that you are exercising.

Set reasonable goals for increasing your activity level over time. Don't try to do too much too soon (heavy early as they say). This almost always leads to a dislike or even resentment of the activity and could possibly risk injury.

If you do decide to join a health club, be exceedingly vigilant. Make the visits an integral part of your weekly routine, one that is not easily pushed off your agenda. Many health clubs have fitness experts who can assess your needs and design a program best suited to achieving your goals. Personal trainers can also provide this service while also being excellent motivators. In addition, many health clubs offer fun and creative programs to get you moving. Again, you must be seriously committed to attending and participating at your club, otherwise you may find yourself discouraged and out of pocket.

I mention diet, or healthy eating, and exercise because this combination is hands down the most effective way to improve your overall health. Just keep in mind, everything in moderation.

Finally, one word: patience. You will falter along the way, you will hit plateaus, you will find your body and mind to be resistant to change. Be patient with yourself. When it comes to this kind of change you will probably stumble, but keep in mind, there is nothing you can do in a day that can possibly undo weeks of commitment. Right the ship, and carry on. Ultimately as long as the goal is to improve your health you can't fail. It isn't about being thinner, or stronger, or feeling more youthful, although these are fringe benefits. It is about taking ownership of your body rather than letting those bad habits own you.

There, have I bored you enough?

Fine, tomorrow an entire blog dedicated to Homer Simpson.

Feel better? I do.

Go Habs, Go

1 comment: