Monday, November 8, 2010

Movember Mohair

Okay, so I'm warning you in advance, I'm going to be in the doghouse for the next month or so. My grievous transgression?

Staying out all night with the boys?
Spilling beer on the sofa?
Running the lawnmower over the hydrangeas?

Much worse. Facial hair.

The month of November has been dubbed Movember by a number of organizations aiming to raise awareness for men's health. The 'Mo' stands for moustache, which is what men across Canada will be growing to raise awareness and funds for Prostate Cancer Canada. Movember is actually an international event, with each country representing its own charities in support of men's health.

This isn't quite like other fund raising events with a marathon, walk-a-thon, dance-a-thon, bike-a-thon or any other 'thon' that requires actual physical activity. Which is why it is perfect for most men who would watch four hours of televised lawn bowling because they are too lazy to reach for the remote.

Of course, Movemeber won't be completely without sacrifice. In my case the sacrifice will come in the form of scorn. Not from my peers who will no-doubt relentlessly mock my facial fuzz. I'm used to that kind of derision. Among men it is considered a term of endearment.

For me the bulk of the contempt will come from my dear wife. While she is the most wonderful, caring, funny and supportive person in my life, she also really, really hates facial hair. By hate I mean loathes, despises, abhors ...basically she doesn't like it.

I, on the other hand, a former card-carrying member of the hairy face club, am somewhat less repelled by the idea. In fact I'm feeling rather nostalgic. It's been at least ten years since I last had my goatee. Almost as long as I've known my wife ...hmm.

I should say, for the record, that the last moustache I had was perhaps the all time cheesiest tangle of whiskers ever grown. I may have to temper the 'stache with a matching chin shrub.

Admittedly I'm off to a bit of a late start. I've been weighing the merits of packing the razor away for a month or enduring weeks of rolled eyes, sneering tuts and disappointed sighs. On the bright side, my six year-old thinks it's a great idea. Since we are roughly at the same maturity level, that was enough for me.

Many women I know are not too fond of the whiskers, unless of course they reside on Tom Selleck. Sorry ladies, we can't all be Magnum P.I. In my defence however, it should be noted that lots of men have worn some form of pink in support of breast cancer research and awareness, and none of them complained. At least, that's my argument and I'm sticking to it.

To be serious for a moment, prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men. At least 1 in 6 Canadian men will be diagnosed with the disease. If detected early, it is also one of the most treatable and most preventable of cancers. Unfortunately there are virtually no symptoms at early onset which is why early testing and detection is so important. As part of my participation in Movember, I intend to take the test myself. I lost my father to cancer many years ago. Although it was not prostate cancer, had their been early detection in his case the chances of survival would have significantly improved.

I encourage you to support the cause on my behalf, or anyone's behalf. You can make a donation and see my progress online by clicking here.

So game on, the whiskers are coming out. Hopefully they will provide a little extra warmth, I suspect that doghouse is going to be pretty chilly this time of year.

Arf.

No comments:

Post a Comment