Friday, February 26, 2010

The Next Voice You Might Hear...

Starting on Monday you may find that my blogs become a little shorter (and the crowd goes wild), and perhaps not as frequent (and the crowd breathes a collective sigh of relief). This is because I will be attending evening classes for the next three months at the Montreal Radio and Television school.

Radio broadcasting has been a fascination of mine for many years, a field that I have studied in the past and had some limited experience. It has been a hobby of sorts, which, among other things, has led me to create and maintain my own Internet-based radio station. Life’s twists and turns have kept me from pursuing this interest beyond a simple diversion, until now.

As media goes, radio is exceptionally powerful in the sense that it can be inserted into virtually any context while communicating on a very personal level. Unlike its direct media rivals, newspapers and television, radio is both immediate and portable.

The school is managed and staffed by people who have considerable experience in Montreal media. A number of on-air personalities currently working in radio are graduates of this program.

I don’t honestly know where these courses will take me. Given the current state of the radio industry in Montreal, and North America at large, it’s reasonable to say that opportunities for a career in this field are few and far between.

Nonetheless, the time is finally right for me to explore the medium that has captured my imagination for so long.

This comes at a time in my life when I am, shall we say, not a young dude. It seems, these days, that my main preoccupations are getting my kids through school, figuring out how to retire before age 88, and my doctor and colon developing an uncomfortably intimate relationship.

If there’s one benefit to reaching one’s mid forties (ugh) it is a bit of wisdom. I’ve been fortunate to have amazing people in my life, and sadly have had to say goodbye to some. The thing is, you don’t get to the end of your life and say: “gee, I’m glad I took the trash out every day.”

Sometimes you just have to follow your bliss even if you don’t know where it will take you, or whether you are too young or too old.

Of course, it doesn’t hurt to have an exceedingly supportive, understanding and patient family to encourage me. In particular my wife, who thinks pursuing one’s passion is a no-brainer and, regardless of the consequences, we’ll make it work. How could you not love a woman like that? And she’s hot too.

So, it’s back to school, for a little while anyway. At the very least, the experience should give me plenty of blogging material (and the crowd moans).

Stay tuned.

And of course, go Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment