Friday, March 19, 2010

Planet of The Friday Time Waster Supreme

What a crazy week. I barely had two seconds to think, and usually I need several hours. Ah well, it's Friday, so time to kick back and get ready for a relaxing weekend. At least that's the plan.

* * *

So let me get this straight, the NHL board of governors (read: fat rich guys who own hockey franchises) decided that it was in the best interest of the league to introduce a rule to prevent head-shots for next season. This after letting Matt Cooke go unpunished for trying to decapitate Marc Savard. The net result, two more mind-numbingly brutal attacks resulting in severe injuries to Chicago Blackhawk's Brent Seabrook and Pittsburgh Penguin's Alex Goligoski. Now the league has done a 180 and decided it might be wise to introduce the rule before the end of this season, or somebody dies. I suppose if it had been Sidney Crosby who had been laying nose-first on the ice a couple of weeks ago, the rule would already be in place. So by the NHL's math: Savard + Seabrook + Goligoski = Crosby.

* * *

Why does the rise in the Canadian dollar always coincide with me having absolutely no disposable income? Actually just about everything coincides with me having absolutely no disposable income.

* * *

Not that there's anything wrong with a case of beer, but next time the Prime Minister makes a bet with the U.S. President over a hockey game it should be for something we could really use. How about Florida?

* * *

Montreal's blue collar workers are threatening to shut down the Biodome and Insectarium as part of pressure tactics in their negotiations for a new contract. Oh my, where are we going to find another boreal forest and a thousand bugs? Um, maybe my back yard.

* * *

From the 'Let's Find A Downside To Everything' department, apparently all of this warm weather is not good news for everyone. According to Maple Syrup producers, the warm weather is causing the flow of sap to slow and even stop, which means supplies of maple syrup could be affected. The warm weather has also cut into the cabanes à sucre business in Quebec. Which is not really a problem for me because I'm still full from last year's meal.

I guess I'll just have to drown my sorrows at a terrasse somewhere.

* * *

Cheers to my brother Johnny who will wed his sweetheart Heather this Saturday. I wish them many years of happiness, adventure, discovery and a love that grows stronger every day.


Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment